Wednesday, 31 May 2017

CompTest 2017 Conference in Leuven & TRUSS Outreach Activity in Dublin

Hello everyone!

After a long time, I’m back again with a new post regarding my recent activities within TRUSS project.
It was a busy period for me, with lots of different tasks taking place at the same time, but, since I “survived”, I decided to share with you my experiences!

Early April, I attended the 8th International Conference on Composites Testing and Model Identification (CompTest2017) in Leuven, Belgium where I had both a poster and a mini-oral presentation on the outputs of my work so far.

Attendance in CompTest 2017

This was a 3-day conference, running from the 5th until the 7th of April 2017, organised by KU Leuven. The scope includes model development and validation, advanced experimental techniques and simulation of structural fibre reinforced composites. 
CompTest 2017, with more than 200 delegates, was held in Kasteelpark Arenberg and poster session took place in the “Machine Hall”, where many interesting 19th- century machines are exhibited.

CompTest 2017 conference venue

My presentation focused on the effect of braiding parameters on the performance of braided BFRP composites for concrete reinforcement. Dr. Ciaran McNally and Dr Greg Byrne, my supervisors from UCD and Burgmann Packings respectively, are both co-authors on this work.
This event was an excellent experience for me, as it was mostly addressed to researchers and professionals working with composite materials for aeronautical, automotive and infrastructure applications. Thus, I had the chance to discuss my work and share ideas with other attendees and experts from both industry and academia.

Moreover, on the 13rd of February 2017, I joined my 2nd TRUSS outreach activity “Seeking to encourage girls in civil engineering”, held in Mount Anville Montessori Junior School. 

Outreach activity at Mount Anville Montessori Junior School, Ireland

As part of the activity, Giulia and me talked about our experience in both civil engineering and TRUSS project to approximately 250 amazing girls, aged 7 to 12 years, with the hope to inspire them in becoming engineers. Although it sounded a bit scary at first, it was actually good fun and I would happily do it again!

And to close this post, let's have a look at comic street art in the beautiful city of Brussels!

Walking on the streets of Brussels

That’s all for now!
More posts will follow within the next few months…

See you soon!